EMPORDA and surroundings


Albons Bellcaire d’Empordà Foixà Fontclara La Bisbal d’Empordà
Canapost Casavells Corçà Clots de Sant Julià Canet Cruïlles Marenyà Matajudaïca Monells Palau-Sator Parlavà Pals Peratallada La Pera Púbol Rupià Sant Iscle d’Empordà Sant Julià de Boada Sant Sadurní de l’Heura La Tallada d’Empordà Tor Ullastret Ultramort Verges Vulpellac

Agullana Castell Sant Ferran fortress Dali's Museum Figueres Maçanet de Cabrenys Lladó Llers L'Escala Les Escaules Peralada Pont de Molins Riumors Sant Miquel de Fluvià Sant Tomàs de Fluvià La Vajol Vilabertran Viladamat Vilanova de la Muga Ventalló

Besalú Porqueres Banyoles Cervià de Ter Le Boulou Maureilles Céret Saint-Genis-des-Fontaines


Sant Sadurní de l'Heura

Sant Sadurní de l' Heura is two kilometres distance from La Bisbal d’Empordà. It comprises in the same municipality the nearby villages of Monells and Cruïlles. The three towns joined together the 2nd of January of 1975 forming the biggest municipality in the Baix Empordà, almost 100 km2s of extension, 71 km of which belonged to the feudal dominions of the barony of Cruïlles. The first references from 904 explain about the small parish of Sant Joan de Salelles located next to the castle, only the base of the tower and part of the sacristy remains from it. The castle was possibly demolished in the 18th C. when the new temple was built, giving space for the big central square; plaça de la Font. The Baroque style parochial church is big in comparison with the village and shows over the other buildings. On the facade upon the main entrance there is an empty niche where there use to be the image of the Saint Patron until 1936 when it was destroyed during the Spanish Civil War. The new church was built almost in its totality with the contributions of the citizens in only three year and a half (1773-1777). In one side of the square there are the Valls, extended excavation used to contain water and that it was built around castles and fortresses as part of the defensive system. In some cases it was used to gather the superficial waters that later on will be used for the cattle. From the plaça de la Font starts the carrer Major, long and narrow, with interesting houses from the 17th to the19th C. 

No comments: